When you hear the words “home improvement”, which part of the house are you thinking of?
Sure, let’s redesign our living room and make it more family-friendly.
How about the basement? We really need to renovate it to make room for a home office.
The attic sure needs some sprucing up!
Sad that nobody thinks about the most important part of the house: the roof! Imagine lounging in an exquisitely-designed bedroom. Then it starts to rain really hard. In fact, the weather report said it’s going to be raining for the next few days. The ceiling starts to leak. One by one, droplets of dirty water stain your immaculate carpet. I can just imagine the horror on your face!
I Should Have Looked for Roofing Contractors While I Still Can!
While you’re sitting there, trying to figure out what to do about the horrible brown stains, you start to think about the numerous times your wife reminded you about looking for roofing contractors to fix and repaint the roof. “Later, Honey. The game’s not done yet,” you call out. Naturally, you forgot about it. When you finally remembered, you argued with yourself about the importance of renovating the kitchen versus repairing the very thing that provides shelter.
While you are busy spending money on the more visible parts of house, the roof, which by the way shields you from the rain, the sun and other harsh elements, slowly deteriorates. Rust, broken tiles, dirt and debris, you name it and your covering has it. And now it’s leaking everywhere in the house: your pristine bedroom, the newly renovated living area, and the expensively-styled kitchen. Yes, you should have called the roofing company while you still can.
What’s the Worst Case Scenario?
Never underestimate the power of a tiny leak. Too many times I have heard of people saying:
“It’s just a small leak. Nothing major is going to happen to that miniscule hole.”
“I’ll fix it myself. No need to call and pay someone to do it. No danger at all!”
“That tiny thing? Oh, I’ll just apply rubber cement or something that will keep the water away.”
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve rolled my eyes when I hear people saying those lines. It’s mostly because of the fact that they tend to put off repair and repainting until it’s too late. You ask, “What’s the worst that can happen?”
- Water will run down and stain your walls and ceiling. But it does not stop there. Because of the moisture, expect a formation of mould and rotting frames. If you don’t do anything about the “little” problem, the entire ceiling can collapse, endangering you and your family. Mould can also cause several health issues.
- Electricity and rain do not mix. You can be electrocuted just by switching on the lights. Plus, it can also be a fire hazard.
- Damaged insulation and other issues which can lead to a shocking repair bill. We’re talking about thousands of dollars here.
- If older people and children are unaware of a wet floor, they might slip and fall. There have been repeated reports of fatalities resulting from slips and falls. They could have been prevented.
Now, you understand why that little leak should not be ignored. Taking care of our roofs is not just about aesthetics. Even something as simple as roof painting and cleaning should not be neglected. Keeping our family away from the dangers of collapsing roofs means that we should not put off calling reliable roofing contractors to help us maintain, repair and clean the very covering that protects us from unforeseen hazards. It should be on your highest priority list. By doing that, you’re already saving your own life.
- License: Creative Commons image source
By Debra Wright
Debra Wright is a Marketing specialist, cupcake enthusiast and online author trying to make a mark in the web in not less than 500 words. Her motto: keep to your side of the bed.