Summer is here andbefore it’s gone let’s give our home a nice makeover followed by a party with friends over to celebrate. Here are 10 different ways for you to transform your home.
- Get Organized — The best way to transform your home makeover is by getting organized and removing everything that is broken beyond repair, is no longer used, or is out of season or style. Everything that is broken beyond repair, toss it. Things that can be repaired, decide whether you want to spend the money fixing it, or not. Sometimes it is more cost-effective to let go than try to fix it, and sometimes the aggregated emotional value is much higher than the actual cost so keeping it will be the choice. Therefore, there is no right or wrong as each case is different.
- Organize it — If you have accessories that are season specific, group them accordingly and store it away.
- Move things around — Before going out on a shopping spree, move your existing décor and furniture around. Think outside the box. By changing the furniture layout, for example, you will have the illusion of being in a different place. During this process make a list of all items you would like to add to each room.
- Paint! — Give your room a new look by applying a fresh coat of low to zero VOC paint on your walls and ceiling. VOCs(Volatile Organic Compounds) are off-gassing chemicals released from paint and some other goodies that can have short- and long-term side-effects on our health. Considering the amount of VOCs found indoors can be up to ten times higher than outdoors, it’s imperative to buy only low to zero VOC paint products. If you are not sure where to start, consider Benjamin Moore Green Promise and Sherwin Williams Green Designation products.
- 5. Bring the outdoor in — Incorporate flowers and herbs to your home décor in order to bring the outside in.
- Be crafty— Create a conversational pieceby repurposingan old piece. If you are into arts and crafts considering a decoupage or a customized hand painting. It will add such a great value to the furniture while creating a conversational piece and extending the life of your piece
- Create an Art Gallery — Choose a wall to display all of your picture frames. Start placing them next to each other at your eye level and then expand towards the ceiling and the floor to create your very own art gallery.
- Play with Pillows — Another great way to decorate seasonally is by replacing your pillows. In the summer go for more vibrant, colorful pillows, with lots of patterns. In the winter, look for more muted or bold ones.
- Create an Herb Garden — Depending on where you live and how much sun your home gets, consider creating your very own indoor herb garden. Place the herbs in colorful pots and enjoy their aroma throughout the season.
- Create a Hotel Suite – Have you ever wished for a boutique hotel bedroom? So, why not create one by wall covering only the wall where the headboard is with some fabulous wallpaper?Select a pattern in a color that will enhance your bedding and no matter which style you choose, just have fun doing it.
VK Sustainable Concepts’ Principal Andrea Vollf, LEED AP ID+C, is a registered interior designer and sustainability professional with over fifteen years of experience in the interior design and marketing industries. Recently nominated by the Daily Herald Business Ledger as one of the Influential Women in Business 2012 and with articles published across US and Canada since 2009, Ms. Vollf is an active member of the U.S. Green Building Council – Illinois Chapter, with in?depth knowledge of all aspects of Sustainability – Social, Environmental and Economic. Ms. Vollf is also one of the co-founders of NEW – Networking of Entrepreneurial Women – a networking group that is committed to supporting and promoting entrepreneurial women living and working in the Chicago suburban area. Connect with Andrea on Google+, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Pinterest.