Art exudes energy, whether it is a relaxing or a lively one, and this can change the aura of a room. Because of the ambiance it creates, people want to have a few art pieces in their homes. When deciding about artwork, most homeowners will consider art that can be hanged on walls, such as paintings or framed drawings, while others prefer sculptures and other works or collections that can be exhibited. There certainly is a wide variety to choose from, so how do you know which type of art is the right one for your home?
Choosing art can be really confusing, and the decision largely depends on your personal taste. But aside from that, there are also a number of tips that might help you out in acquiring the most suitable art for your home. Here are some —
1. Consider your budget. Of course, one of the most important considerations when buying art is your budget. How much money are you willing to spend? Original art from renowned international painters can cost thousands of dollars, depending on the artist. A more money-saving idea is to buy unique artwork from local artists. Another option is to be more inspired by works of art from your own family. A nice drawing done by your child or maybe a distinctive sculpture completed by a friend can also be displayed in your home, and these can be had for free.
2. The artwork you possess should reflect your character. Any work of art that is exhibited in your home must have value to you. The meaning or memory behind every piece of art makes each item distinct and matchless. These should be a reflection of who you are.
3. Art does not necessarily have to match your furniture. Some people believe that the art that they buy should also match the colors or themes of their home. This could work for you. If you think that a certain piece will add more to the look of a certain room, for instance, then go for it. Another idea is to buy something that you really love; one that truly moves you. Then find or even create a place for that in your home.
4. Take into account certain factors, such as – size, color and style.
A few essential factors that you need to mull over when picking art to fit a room are – size, color, and style.
Ideally, any piece must be just right for a specific space. It must not smother or overwhelm everything else in a room, which can occur when an artwork is too big for the area provided. Something that is too small, on the other hand, will go unnoticed. So, you need to pick out something that is just the right size for the wall where you’re planning on hanging or displaying it.
As for color, find one or two colors in a certain piece that match the paint of your room. The matching colors will give the impression that the piece belongs. Another method is to pick an artwork that possesses shades that complement the color of your room or house. The contrasting colors will bring more vigor to an area.
When considering style, opt for modern pieces if you live in a contemporary apartment. If your home is filled with traditional furniture and adorned with antique pieces, maybe something with an ornate or old-fashioned frame will complement it better. All in all, the style of the paintings, sculptures or other pieces that you have should also reflect the design that dominates your home.
- License: Creative Commons image source
Claire Flint is a freelance blogger who has an avid interest in interior decoration, home improvement and art. She also tackles issues regarding home security, and some of her write-ups have been used by Hayden Homes and other builders.